10 HEALTHY BACK TIPS:
1. Exercise regularly – This does not have to be anything overly strenuous. Something as simple as a daily walk can make a huge difference.
2. Eat a healthy diet – Proper nutrients allow the body to repair itself easier. Eating foods that are not processed or chemically altered will help your body heal and maintain proper nutrition.
3. Maintain good posture – Are you sitting up straight as you read this?
4.Stretch your spine before and after sports – This will also help to loosen up the surrounding muscles.
5. Don’t overload your backpack or purse – Remember to carry it over both shoulders to balance the load (if possible).
6. Stretch your legs and back after each hour of sitting – Whether in a car or at a desk, stretching regularly will help to keep you from tightening up or injuring yourself further.
7. Never cradle the phone between your neck and shoulder
8. Sleep on your back or side, not on your stomach – This helps to keep your spine in line and reduces the risk of hurting your neck while you sleep.
9. Invest in a good chair, pillow and mattress – When you think about the amount of time you use these things each day, it’s worth it.
10. Have regular spinal check-ups – It’s much easier to prevent a problem than to correct one.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR YOUR SPINE
Home instructions In order to maximize your recovery, the following suggestions are advised:
1. Ice: Ice reduces inflammation and relieves pain. Cover the ice pack with one layer of kitchen roll and apply the ice pack directly to the area specified by your Chiropractor. Time of application is 20 minutes, 4-5 times a day until advised further.
2. Walking: After each adjustment, especially for lower back complaints, walk for 15-20 minutes. Repeat 3-4 times a day. Unless otherwise instructed.
3. AVOID: – Bending forward – Lifting and twisting – All forms of heat (including baths or hot tubs) – Any motion or position that produces the pain – Sitting or standing for longer than 30 minutes
4. Sleep: on a bed that gives your spine adequate support. If the bed begins to sag, it needs to be replaced.
5. Do not sleep on your stomach. Sleep on your side or back keeping your spine in a
6. Avoid wearing high heels, which can inadvertently change your posture.
7. Sleep with one pillow only to support your head and neck.
8. Exercise: When your back pain is relieved, regular exercise within your ability and tolerance is important. Your Chiropractor knows which exercises are best for you and your particular condition.
9. Co-operation – co-operate with your Chiropractor and be patient. Like a regular workout at a gym, each visit builds on the ones before. Miss a visit and you can lose the momentum necessary to make needed changes.
10. When driving – the car seat should be firm and positioned so that you can operate the pedals with your knees slightly bent. On long drives, stop occasionally, get out of the car, stretch and move around. When getting in and out of the car attempt to keep the back as straight as possible. Ask your Chiropractor about a lumbar cushion, which will take the strain out of driving.
11. When lifting – use your leg muscles rather than your back.